Friday, January 25, 2008

Not Too Good

Well, I had relatively high hopes until today. My RE said that I would probably only get about 5 eggs. Which he said was low for my age (35). And that means there probably won't be any to freeze (ya think - HELLO). He upped the Bravelle to 5 and Menopur stays at 1. DAMN IT!!! Apparently, I'm a poor responder and/or my ovarian reserve is running out. Not sure how many follicles in total, I think still around 7 or maybe 8. I'll have to call the nurse Monday for a review. I was in shock as he was measuring b/c it was so quick. On the right, I think there was a 13, and a couple of 8's and on the left a couple of 8's, a 9, and a 10. I am hoping that he is just being conservative so that I won't expect too much at retrieval, which he said will probably be on Thursday. I am trying to keep an open mind that there are still 4 days (injections) before I go back in on Tuesday, and that a lot can happen between now and then. Anyway, he said I could blame heredity on the fact that maybe I wasn't born with as many eggs as some people. And that I could blame it on my Mom (who was sitting right there). That kinda pissed me off b/c the poor woman is a cry waiting to happen type person (me too). But he kinda played it off that there is nothing that can be (or could have been) done about it. It's just the way it is. So, when I got home I had to order more Bravelle. $499.00 plus $10 for Saturday delivery b/c I don't have enough to make it through til Monday. DAMN IT! Ok,,, so here are the remnants of my Friday nite cocktail...


I wish this stuff would give you a buzz. It would be so much more fun.

Fun, fun... :)

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Sorry about the tough news. I'm 29 and I'm a poor responder. When you posted your Estradiol on Monday it made me nervous because it sounded very familiar to my cycles. Just so you know, there are lots of different protocols they can try. And some RE's are better with poor responders then others. If you need some support, you should check out www.ivfconnections.net/boards. There's one especially for poor responders. Good luck. And remember, it only takes 1. Betsy

Rebecca said...

It sounds like you took this pretty rough, but try not to get too wrapped up in the numbers (not easy, huh?)...I only retrieved 7 eggs, but 6 of them fertilized...anything can happen and I don't believe that the numbers mean as much as the quality (which we know nothing about either). Gotta love this fun little IF road, right? Try to take it easy...

Nadine said...

Tough news. Sounds like your RE wasn't very sensitive. BUT it only takes one, just one egg, that's all you need. I don't have many resting follicles, the disease took a lot of my eggs, so my heart goes out to you,
Remember all you need is one.

Optimistic said...

I too am a poor responder and only got 5 eggs, all 5 fertilized though and I had two perfect embies at three day transfer. I think it is just as good as someone who gets 20 and ends up with only two. Good Luck!